Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Bicycle blogs and MSN Spaces

MSN Spaces is Microsoft's free blogging and photo sharing service. I haven't looked at Spaces in detail, but leaving comments requires that I sign in with Microsoft's .NET Passport, which I do not have. Given that my personal information is all over the web I don't know why I feel uncomfortable giving that information to Microsoft; I just do. I suspect hordes of other people feel the same way. That's why I allow anonymous commenting on my blogs.

Anyway, it's a real shame. I ran across a wonderful blog on MSN Spaces from a new bike commuter somewhere in Denver. Open communication is a central aspect of blogging, but MSN Spaces severely restricts it. Too bad, because otherwise Commuter's Paradise would end up in my Bloglines.

Update: Another thing that really torques me off about MSN Spaces is they all show a trackback link, but every attempt I've made to trackback to an MSN Spaces blog results in the message "Trackbacks are disabled for this blog." That kind of bait-and-switch is slimy and unethical.

No comments: