Monday, October 23, 2006

BikePortland: Victim of its success

Fans of Bike Portland have already noticed that the site is down, with just a brief message from the site's owner:

My site is temporarily down while I make a significant server upgrade. My hosts have suspended my account twice in the last week due to excessive traffic.

I apologize for the outages and should have my own, dedicated server set up in the next few days. The good news the site will be much more stable, the bad news is the new server plan costs 14 times more a month than I'm currently paying. Growing pains I guess...

BikePortland's owner Jonathan Maus tells me that his hosting service shut him down because his site generates too much traffic. 87% of server usage was from DB requests from bikeportland.org. His blog is in the top 8,000 in Technorati and is considered the #1 rated bike blog in the world. (Cyclelicious, in contrast, is only #7). In August, BikePortland.org had 250,000 page views.

With his increased hosting costs in mind, Jonathan says to contact him about sponsorship and ads and he'll be happy to talk. ;-)

technorati tags:, , , , ,

1 comment:

Paul Tay said...

Everybody's a victim in America.