Thursday, August 25, 2005

U.S. Pro Cycling

The L.A. Times weighs in on the Lance Armstrong EPO doping story. But I'm addressing something of much greater importance to U.S. cycling. Writer Diane Pucin writes that the Discovery Channel "sponsors the only U.S.-based pro cycling team."

Technially, Ms. Pucin is correct if we count the teams on the UCI ProTour. But there are only 20 teams in the ProTour altogether; categorizing Team Discovery as the "only U.S.-based pro cycling team" seems a little misleading.

I realize the UCI classifications are a little goofyconfusing, but in my mind any UCI licensed team can be considered a "professional" cycling team. If you count only the teams that compete as a UCI Continental Team, we have fifteen U.S. teams, more than any other country. France and Italy each have five teams. It's a shame that U.S. cycling doesn't get more recognition.

To help rectify this lack of recognition, I present the UCI-registered U.S. professional cycling teams. I hope I got them all.

No comments: