Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Google interview

I'm very busy today so I'll just post a quick personal note. First, several people have written to me personally and in the comments over the past day or two. I try to respond quickly but I've fallen behind. I'll try to get to you when I can. Please accept my apologies for the delay.

Secondly, I've applied for an engineering position at Google. I had my first telephone interview today. The screening questions were complete softballs: "Explain the difference between shift and rotate operations. Where are deadlocks useful? What are the x86 op code, mnemonic and operands for the set-and-test-bit instruction? Quickly! Recite Pi to 9 decimal places." I told the interviewer that her questions were much easier than I expected. She gave an evil chuckle and responded, 'Oh, they'll get harder as you move along.'

I passed the initial test and I have a second phone interview scheduled with the hiring manager. It turns out, incidentally, that I used to work with this manager at a previous company.

Will Fritz move to the Googleplex? Stay tuned to Cyclelicious for details.


8 comments:

Tim Jackson said...

Good luck buddy! That is truly awesomenews.

Anonymous said...

Nice! I'm rooting for you...just don't forget your friends in the blogosphere when you're hired as we could all use a little extra google juice...lol!

James T said...

Easy questions huh? I am no computer expert, but I can only answer two of them. I know Pi to 9 decimal places and, needless to say, I know where dreadlocks are useful. Oh wait, that says deadlocks; I guess I can only answer one.

Seriously though, sounds like a great opportunity. Good luck going forward.

Anonymous said...

Ok so I am a computer expert and I couldnt answer any of those. Good luck!

Donna Tocci said...

Exciting stuff! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck champ!

I've visited my roommate at work and it truly is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Nice! I gotta know though, when are deadlocks useful?

Yokota Fritz said...

When are deadlocks useful? The answer is "never."