1,000 cyclists remember Matt Peterson and Kristy Gough in memorial ride
At least a thousand cyclists rode this afternoon from Foothill College to Stevens Canyon Road to remember Matt Peterson and Kristy Gough, two cyclists who were killed last Sunday when Santa Clara Sheriff's deputy James Council crossed the center line and struck them. The pack rode somberly as a helicopter flew overhead and police and volunteers blocked intersections. It was a bit like a 10 mile long suburban Critical Mass, except the mood was somber and the bikes were different and almost everybody was decked out in road cycling kit.
- San Francisco Chronicle - Memorial bike ride for 2 cyclists killed in Cupertino
- CBS 5 news video.
- Mercury News Throng of bikers take a memorial ride for fallen comrades.
- See Also: Mercury News Re-opened wound - the pain of parents in cycling tragedy. Deputy James Council lost an older sister in a car accident.
- See Also: Bay Area's deadliest roads: an analysis of where cyclists die in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- See Also: Bay Area bike accident database.
Photo: "Kristy and Matt Memorial Ride" by John Gale.