- Quantify! You cannot judge the effectiveness of your advocacy efforts if you don't count the cyclists in your town. The League of American Bicyclists won't give you anything beyond a "Bronze" rating as a Bicycle Friendly Community unless you do traffic counts that include the number of bicycles.
- Congresswoman Doris Matsui (D-CA) says the "days of irresponsible transportation funding are over" and "the transportation system should work for all Americans, not just cars." She will introduce Complete Streets legislation next week.
- Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood tells cycling advocates "I want you to know you'll have a full partner in the Department of Transportation." He says likes rails-to-trails projects :-(
- Congressman Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) says "Cycling is part of the country's economic recovery."
- Thunderhead Alliance announced they are now the Alliance for Walking and Biking.
- Jim Oberstar tells attendees to demand the resources to make cycling a more widely recognized form of transportation.
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
National BIke Summit highlights so far
The 2009 National Bike Summit in Washington DC kicked off with a record 550 attendees last night. Some highlights: