Wednesday, July 18, 2007

CO2 inflator explosion!

I'm always a little paranoid when I use my CO2 inflater on my bicycle tire, a little concerned that the bullet-shaped cartridge might explode or shoot itself out. I figure, though, that a U.S. company wouldn't sell an unsafe product, right?

It apparently turns out the consumer is the tester for popular Genuine Innovations Second Wind MTB and Wrench Force Two Shot combination CO2 inflater and hand pump. Genuine Innovations says they've received twelve reports of their CO2 inflaters exploding, with six injuries reported including lacerations, ringing in the ears and bruising. These can explode if there's an obstruction in the valve. The U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission reports 55,000 of these have been sold. Genuine Innovations has issued a recall for this product.

What I want to know is where's the YouTube video of this?

3 comments:

brother yam said...

Would it look a little like this?

James T said...

Just one more reson to carry a pump. My crank bros pump is small enough to fit in a jersey pocket and it can still pump road tires to high pressure.

Yokota Fritz said...

That video is quite educational, Yam. Reminds me of the time one of my neighbors tossed a can of spray paint in a trash fire. The can exploded and sliced off a chunk of my forehead.