Wednesday, July 18, 2007

TdF Stage 10: Twitter Death!

Believe it or not, I get my Tour de France updates via the Twitter reports from Dave, Ken, and Frank. Sure, I can get the live reports by continually hitting the reset button at Cyclingnews and VeloNews, but I really like just getting this stuff asynchronously. I was a little disappointed, then, when Twitter went down during the last part of Stage 10. Twitter is headquartered in San Francisco, but I wonder if maybe they have a datacenter in the East Bay, which has been plagued with power outages this morning. Ah well, the gift and the curse of technology.

Frenchman Cedric Vasseur of Quick Step-Innergetic claimed a win for the host nation today when he took the lead in a breakaway in the final quarter mile in today's 130 mile stage. His countryman Sandy Casar of Française des Jeux took second place. Overall, Michael Rasumussen continues to hold the yellow jersey, while American Levi Leipheimer of Discovery remains in the top 10 at 9th place.

As usual, an excellent link roundup of stage 10 can be found at Spare Cycles, with videos, photos, news and commentary. See also Steephill.TV for more Stage 10 results.

1 comment:

kwc said...

The little twitter blips also crash Firefox -- not very nice! It's amazing that such a simple app can be so complicated. Firefox also picked that particular moment to slowly install 2.0.0.5 when I restarted.

I'm probably going to switch to a non-browser Twitter client to better isolate the damage.