Thursday, January 05, 2006

Bikes banned at Minneapolis schools

I get infuriated when I hear about elementary schools that ban bikes because of traffic problems. This article starts off great, discussing 4th grade teacher Derek Carlson who leads after-school bike workshops, with 300-400 bikes at the school bike racks.

Other area schools, however, ban bikes, citing safety risks, security issues, liability fears or - where students aren't drawn from the immediate neighborhood - the distances cyclists would have to travel.

Grrrr. They should take care of the cause of the problem, which is usually excessive and aggressive motor vehicle traffic at the school entrances.

2 comments:

The Donut Guy said...

That sucks. I rode my bike to school fro mgrade 7 to whole way to 12th grade. Traffic? Sure but if you know how to ride in traffic, it's not that big of a deal.

Damn shame, no wonder kids are becoming fat asses.

Guitar Ted said...

This is the antithesis to what schools are trying to preach about physical fitness for our youth. It also will do nothing but INCREASE traffic around schools. Here's a word for them.....HYPOCRITES!

Losers! Whoops! I guess that's two words......my bad!