Friday, January 06, 2006

Definition: OCP

OCP - Obsessive Compulsive Poseur. The Obsessive Compulsive Poseur (or Poser) is the cyclist who shows extreme concern about his or her appearance. The bike is perpetually shiny and squeak free. The kit is all color coordinated -- down to the shoes and socks and up to the shades and helmet. If he owns multiple bikes, he has the kit to match each bike, including the gloves, jersey and shorts. He folds up the hem of his shorts so people can see the brand.

Think Bicycling magazine's Style Man, or the legendary Euro pro Fabrizio Mazzoleni.

I have OCP tendencies. I usually pick the jersey, socks and gloves to match the bike I'll ride. It's all about the bike and the kit.


5 comments:

Pete LaVerghetta said...

I qualify. See also 'bagmatcher' n. one whose bags mtch his/her bike. I'm not so sure that this is a bad thing, and I've idly been thinking about writing about this phenomenon. People ski, for example, and they wear ski clothes. They don't ski in jenas, right? But folks show up on group rides looking like a freakin' garage sale. Subaru/Montgomery jersey purchased on sale 12 years ago paired with Saeco/Cannondale bibs?

BTW, anybody with huge charity ride number on their helmet is automaticaly DQed from being an OCP.

Ed W said...

The absolutely best way to deal with poseurs is to drop them as quickly as possible.

The second best way, and this is a personal favorite, is to offend their finely tuned sensibilities by showing up at a ride dressed in plaid Bermuda shorts, Hawaiian shirt, and big, clunky black-framed 'birth control' glasses - the kind they issue in the military.

Fabrizio would get a bad case of the vapors!

Yokota Fritz said...

I ride with cheap $5 Uvex safety glasses from Home Depot.

Photo: I know, but it was the best I could do on short notice.

Guitar Ted said...

That made me smile! I know several people who qualify. I call them "Matching Guy" or "Matching Guys" if there is a group of them.

Maaaatchiiing Guuuuuuyyeee!

Anonymous said...

It should be noted that the term originated on http://www.bikeforums.net/ and has some history to it, including a significant amount of self-effacing humor.

Just sayin'