Sunday, November 06, 2005

Austin, Texas: Steers and ...

I'm biking in and around Austin, Texas this weekend. Some quick observations.
  • Austin is hot and humid compared to Colorado! A quick 15 mile ride ended up with me drenched and coated in white salt.
  • With two exceptions, every cyclist I saw was riding on the sidewalk, even roadies in full road kit and a whole pack of sweaty mountain bikers with hydration packs, helmets, and high-end full suspension bikes. Where do you need full suspension in Austin? The first exception was a recreational cyclist on a road bike. The other exception was a Latino going the wrong way and hugging the fogline.
  • Sidewalk riding is banned in many areas of Austin.
  • In Lance Armstong's hometown, the motorists seem exceptionally friendly. I received several calls of encouragement from open car windows. Somebody was even kind of enough to try quench my thirst with a tossed cup of ice; unfortunately the passenger in the little car with Texas plate 101 GJL missed. I was really thirsty.
  • When I was attending college here in Texas about two decades ago fans of the University of Texas would say "Hook 'em Horns!" as a sign of support for the UT Longhorns. I think they changed that saying. Today, the car-driving tea-sips were hollerin' (that's a Texas word) "HOOK YOU, STEER." With a word that sounds a little like "HOOK" and another that rhymes with "STEER." I never get this kind of encouragement in Colorado.
  • I guess they really like STEERS here in Austin. Mooo.
  • Things are big in Texas. Especially Body Mass Indexes.
  • I'm renting a Specialized Allez Elite from the kind folks at Bicycle Sport Shop in Austin. This is your basic, 105-equipped aluminum bike. It even has bolt holes for a rear rack. The only problem is that my worthless Serfas front light won't fit the 31.8 mm handlebar.

Today, I rode 15 miles on Lamar Blvd from Barton Springs Road to Parmer Lane. To be absolutely honest, I didn't like this road at all. It's safely rideable but it's not fun or even pleasant. I'm going to find another route between my hotel north of town and the Austin Convention Center.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Minds are empty, heads are hollow.
You might find out the truth is hard to swallow.
There´s a place down there, where heads are square.
Laws are tough and you are bare.
There is a law and there is a lawman.
Who is the right, and who is the wrong man.
It doesn't take much to kill a guy.
Don´t get in my face and ask me why...
Texas is the place...
HANG´EM HIGH!

- from "Beers, Steers and Queers" by Revolting Cocks

Megan said...

I'm surprised you didn't see more street-riding Austinites. It's a big bike town, but maybe moreso a weekend warrior bike town and not so much a daily commuter bike town.