Tuesday, November 22, 2005

More bike news than you can shake a frame pump at

For the blog-junkies out there, I've added a sidebar item listing most blog mentions of bicycles. I don't know how long I'll keep it there but I thought I'd try it out. Right now you can only see it by visiting the Cyclicious home page -- I don't have these bike entries on the permalink pages.

Since somebody will ask: Here's how you can add the same thing to your blog, and no Javascript is required :-)

When I read about Technorati's new "Mini" service and followed the link from FreshBlog to Steve Rubel's post about adding the Minisearch window to my sidebar, I thought that looked handy. But, Steve's instructions tell me how to add the search results to the sidebar of my Firefox browser, not to the sidebar of a website.

I was inspired, however. The size of the minisearch box is right, so I just wrapped it in <iframe> code and there it is. Specifically, the code looks like this:

<iframe src="http://technorati.com/search/my+search+terms?floatr=1" width="190px" height="360px" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"> </iframe>


Change the width and height to match your blog's design. Replace "my+search+terms" with the keywords you're interested in, specifying different keywords with OR and replacing spaces with the plus sign. I use "bicycling+OR+cycling+OR+bicycles+OR+bicycle" and so forth, along with a simple profanity filter using the NOT keyword.

No comments: