Saturday, November 12, 2005

Millar's Time

David Millar was a world champion cyclist, a Tour de France stage winner, and a doper. The Scotsman was arrested in 2004 when French police found EPO stashed in his apartment. Team Cofidis fired him, the Tour banned Millar from competition for two years, he was thrown off of the UK Olympic Team, stripped of his 2003 World Time Trial Championship, forced to sell his home, and returned home to Scotland in shame.

And this last Summer, he started riding again. The Spanish team Saunier Duval has agreed to sponsor Millar, and Millar plans to compete in the 2006 Tour de France.

“But even before that I’d already decided to come back to racing. I had it planned out in my head and I’d never imagined having more than a year off the bike. I’ve had to be much more structured about it because I don’t have any other structure in my life.”

Read more in The Times Online: "It's possible to win without doping, Millar confesses." Via Honk de Bonk.

David Millar news archive at tdfblog.

No comments: