- Attention SF Bay Area Road Riders: Organo crunchy vegans Bill & Christine have opened up The Bike Hut for your free use at their home on Tunitas Creek Road just a mile up from Highway 1 south of Half Moon Bay at their Potrero Nuevo Farm, 1045 Tunitas Creek Road. For now, The Bike Hut is just a shack with a picnic table and free water for cyclists to use, but they hope to have organic/vegan energy snacks and drinks avaiable for sale in the future. Props to Holier Than You. Mentioned also at Spare Cycles and SVBC.
- At one time, smoking was seen as the "cool" thing to do, but over time the public perception changed. Jonathan Maus of Bike Portland wonders if this shift in thinking might now by occurring towards automobiles. And the Wall Street Journal reports the largest year on year decline on record in the United States. See also some insightful discussion about roads and privilege by Carlton Reid.
- "Cyclists promote climate change." Umm, is that a weird headline, or what? Something like "Firefighters promote arson" or "Dentists promote tooth decay."
- Gristmill: Carborexia: the pathological inability to produce sufficient carbon.
- A Bike Assembly Area at PDX Airport?
- QuickRelease: Balloon tire bicycle.
- Bike light giveaway in this Monday evening in Urbana, Illinois beginning at 4:30 PM.
- Shimano recall: flat tires can cause crashes. Really.
- SF Bay Guardian 42nd Anniversary issue focuses on a sustainable San Francisco. Via Velo Vogue.
Friday, October 24, 2008
Actually a hot issue popped up at work and there's a good chance I'll be working over the weekend, but I'll try to get some riding in over the weekend. In the meantime, here's a quick collection of news and tidbits for you.