Team USA Kristin Armstrong bounced back from a disappointing road race for the USA women's cycling team and took the gold during the women's individual time trial this morning, beating Emma Pooley (UK) by 24 seconds. Karen Thurig of Switzerland came in a minute behind Armstrong to take the bronze medal.
Christine Thorburn (USA) of Palo Alto pulled in three seconds behind Thurig to get fifth place.
Fabian Cancellara of Switzerland took his second medal from Beijing with his time trial gold win. Cancellara brought it home 1 hour 2 minute time in his race against the clock. Gustav Erik Larsson (Ssweden) took the silver medal while American Levi Leipheimer rounded out the podium with his bronze medal. The other member of the USA time trial team, David Zabriskie, placed 12th.
- Cyclingnews: Armstrong claims gold.
- KWC: Armstrong Gold!
- Cyclingnews: Cancellara realises dream with Olympic TT gold.
- KWC: Cancellara: Golden.
- This story of Cancellara's race to the bronze in the St. Louis Post Dispatch is a good account of what Fabian did for this third place finish on the road race. "It’s one of the most extraordinary individual efforts I’ve seen in more than 30 years covering sports," writes Dave Luecking. "Folks, Cancellara’s averaged almost 70 kilometers per hour, or in U.S. lingo, about 44 miles per hour, en route to the final kilometer."
- Much much more at Cyclodro.me.
- And speaking of the Cyclodrome, Ken has added Tour of Utah coverage. The Tour of Utah, a five stage race with over 30,000 feet of climbing over 336 miles, started about 10 minutes ago in Nephi, UT.
Next up: Men's and Women's BMX seeding; men's BMX quarterfinals on Wednesday, August 20.